Saturday, November 29, 2008

Moving to Sacramento

Last week, I interviewed for a position at Cal State University, Sacramento, or Sacramento State University. They quickly made me an offer and I accepted. So I will be moving to the position of Associate Vice President for Administrative Computing at Sac State. I am very excited - the job plays to my strengths, focusing on Peoplesoft, Data Warehousing and other administrative initiatives, and gives me a great opportunity for change without a very dramatic move. Even though we will move to Sacramento, we will still be in very close proximity to Dara, Zach and Aidan and to Nan. I was obviously interested in the job when I applied, but became even more swayed when I got to Sac State. Some of the things I liked: Seems like there's a focus on students, the campus is very nice and very walkable (i.e. flat), the IT organization seems to have a very positive energy, and the budget issues seem more manageable.

On a personal level, I will likely commute from the bay area to Sacramento starting in January until about June, when Aisling gets out of school, planning to move then. We need to meet with realtors and mortgage agents to figure out if we can maintain our two homes here, renting them out, while buying something in Sacramento. Aisling is very excited about the move. Her top priority seems to be to get us to buy a house with a pool. Gordon's top priority for a house is the garage, and of course, mine is closet space! And air conditioning. It's way hotter in Sacramento than it is here. It'll really be interesting to see how the cats do when we move them, especially Saki. That cat is loony! I can't even imagine being in the car with him for the hour and a half drive to Sacramento, let alone keeping him in a new house for a couple of days while he acclimates to the area.

So stay tuned! As plans unfold, I will update my blog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

helpful post.

Gordon & Helen in Crete

Gordon & Helen in Crete