Saturday, February 28, 2009

Trip to Ireland & France, Day 4, Sunday February 15th

Gordon on Hubert's motorcycleMost of Sunday was spent getting ready for our trip to Carcassonne in France, although Aisling managed to get her cousin Sarah to take her shopping to the Pennys in Swords, where she bought three pairs of shoes at three euros each. We also went to lunch at Bewley's hotel near the airport. I used to work for Bewley's cafe in the center of Dublin when I was a student, and the menu has changed a little. But as always, there is tea. Most of my family went to lunch, so we werer a group of 15 or so. After lunch Gordon and I went over to Paula and Hubert's where Gordon got to ride Hubert's honda shadow motorcycle, which apparently came from Sacramento! I think he managed to stay on the left side of the road.

Sunday evening, we played cards again and then Gordon and I went out for a little while to a local pub, the Sheaf o' Wheat. There was "live" music. Two guys with guitars and a backing track. Of course, Irish people will dance to any sort of music, so there was much dancing. Gordon got to observe the Irish phenomenen of two men dancing together. That's perfectly acceptable in a straight establishment, after all, it's only dancing. On the way home, we stopped at a local chipper so that Gordon could experience post-pub Irish cuisine. I had a spiceburger, which is a burger made primarily of breadcrumbs as far as I can tell (I'm not saying there's no meat, there just isn't much) and various spices. It's then deep-fried. I love them! Gordon had a battered sausage, which is a fully-cooked Irish pork sausage dipped in a flour batter and then deep-fried. Yum!

No comments:

Gordon & Helen in Crete

Gordon & Helen in Crete